Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy Kindle to me

One of my favorite things to do is read.  The problem is when I find a good book nothing gets done… no laundry, no dinner, no favorite TV shows nadda.  I'm happy when I read… my family not so much. LOL

For my birthday, I asked for a Kindle Fire never expecting to get one.  Perhaps the last 5 words are false; untrue all right I will admit a down and out lie.   I knew full well I was going to get it because if I didn’t, heads were going to roll. J  And you know me, if you mess with the bull you’re gonna get the horns.  My horns are kind of soft, fuzzy and squishy but they are horns never the less. J

Much to my surprise… I came home a few days before my birthday to find a package on my porch.  If my husband is reading this, Kevin:  please skip to the next paragraph.  What could it be?  The box had AMAZON written in huge letters on one side and KINDLE FIRE written on the other.  When my husband came home, bless his heart, he saw the box, tucked it under his coat, ran and hid it.  Good thing, because I totally wanted to be surprised on my birthday!

The first book I loaded on my Kindle was a free one from the Amazon store.  It was "Hostile Witness" by Rebecca Forster.  Since it was free, I honestly wasn’t expecting too much.  I thought it would work to check out my new toy. Kevin:  I totally meant for you to skip to the next paragraph not this one so move it on down. J  This book turns out was the real birthday surprise. It was beyond awesome and I couldn’t put it down.

First you should know in the last couple weeks, I have read 5 of her books and just started on my 6th.  I seriously couldn’t be more hooked if they were dipped in chocolate and then covered in sprinkles. J  The first 4 books I read were the Witness Series.  When I was about 75% done with the last book, I started to feel panicked.  Was she working on more books?  What will happen with the characters I’ve grown attached to?  Won’t Josie, Hannah and Archer miss me?  I went to her website and I didn’t see anything about a new book in the series but several other books caught my eye so I started to calm down.  There was a section on the website where you could leave a comment.   I left one never in a million, trillion years expecting to get a reply.  When I got home that night and checked my email there was one from Rebecca Forster.  You should have seen me… I was jumping up and down, squealing with delight.  I’m pretty sure my family thought I had finally gone and lost my mind.  When I opened the email, I expected to see a form letter but it was a PERSONAL EMAIL FROM HER TO ME!  That sort of makes me famous right?

Well to make a long story short, since that time we have been corresponding back and forth via email.  I can’t tell you how blessed that makes me feel or what a special spark it has added to my life.  She is very humble and I truly don’t think she knows what an amazing, gifted, best of the best writer she is.  If you like to read, start with Hostile Witness.  But first… make sure your laundry is done, take out menus close by and favorite TV shows DVR’d because take it from me once you start you won’t be able to stop.

Life’s better with butter" and a little surprise now and then.  Thank you Lord for surprises...  If you keep then all good that would be great. I don’t want to be greedy so the bad ones feel free to give to someone else.

2 comments:

  1. That was the first book I read as well when I got my Kindle Touch for Christmas and I absolutely loved it! After your recommendation I'll be downloading ALL of her other books tonight after work!
    Love you Mama Karrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrie - I'm also reading her books through my sisters suggestion. I haven't tried the Kindle but am thinking about it for my birthday. I just can't imagine not holding and turning pages of a book. Love you too Karrie♥ - Carol

    ReplyDelete