Monday, September 13, 2010

Go figure... pun intended!

When you have gastric bypass surgery and your body can't tolerate sugar what do you do... start baking of course and that's exactly what I did.  All my life I've suffered with a weight problem.  I think it actually started with a distorted body image and then eventually my body morphed into what I had always envisioned it to be. Last June I was at my highest weight ever.  I was physically unhealthy but more importantly I was mentally unhealthy.  I honestly felt like I was teetering on the edge of a big black hole and every bite of food pushed me closer and closer to going over the edge. The more I wanted to quit the more I ate... it was a vicious cycle. I have no doubt that if I had not had the surgery on July 1st of 2009 I would not be here today and for this second chance at life I am eternally grateful. I started baking as a way to fill the time that I had previously used for eatting.  It is a safe hobby  for me because even though I would love to sample everything I make, eatting sweets makes me nauseas so it's just not worth it.  I love love love to bake for my family, friends, neighbors etc.  People often ask me if I'm going to turn baking into a business but to be honest the smile I get when I drop off my treats is the best payment I could ever ask for.  I  like to think my baking is a way to show people they are loved and that "life's better with butter".  Thank you Lord for the gift of life and for my friends and family who have supported me through thick and thin but more importantly didn't give up on me when at times I had given up on myself... I am very blessed.

July 2009 - the day before surgery


July 2010 - looking Butter :) but not quite there 

No comments:

Post a Comment